Carbon monoxide detectors can be the best life-saving investment you will ever make for your family. According to the Journal of American Medical Association, in the United States alone, 2,100 people die every year from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning.. Of all potential poisoning death causes in the US, carbon monoxide poisoning is number one. Because it lacks color, taste and odor, It is among the most dangerous home issues. And most importantly, it is 100% preventable.
It is imperative to protect your home from this deadly gaseous death. Installing reputable carbon monoxide detectors can be the literal difference between life and death. If undetected, this leaking gas can kill an entire family in the matter of hours, or in some cases, minutes.
Carbon monoxide can be released by some of the most common systems within a home. Items like a gas range, stove, gas clothes dryer, water heater, furnace, gas or wood fireplace, space heaters, car exhaust, charcoal grills, and clogged chimneys or flues can cause this gas to be emitted into your home.
Here are a few ways to prevent this from happening:
While carbon monoxide detectors are recommended, smoke detectors are mandatory. This one little device can save the life of your entire family in the matter of seconds. Smoke detectors provide early warning to help prevent fire fatalities.
The National Fire Protection Agency recommends your fire detectors be replaced every five years to assist with maintaining the reliability of all of the components. There are two different types of smoke detectors: ionization and photoelectric. Know the difference before choosing the best option for your home.
Ionization has a continuous current running between two electrodes. The current is interrupted when smoke is detected. The problem with this type of system is that the detector cannot determine the difference between smoke and steam. This system is typically the least expensive of the two as it is a bit more simplistic in its technology.
Photoelectric detectors works by responding to a reduction in light reaching an internal photocell. When smoke enters the system, the light is scattered, triggering the alarm. These are more precise and less likely to trigger a false alarm. However, they will not warn you when the batteries are low or dying.
CME Electric has been installing smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors throughout the Eastern, Central New Jersey area for the past 25 years. The expert technicians are happy to advise you on the best unit for your home and help you maintain a schedule for maintenance and battery replacement. Contact us today to start the process of keeping your family safe for years to come.